DVSA Approved driving instructor means that an instructor has reached the highest standard in driver education. Experience & the passing of strict tests.
When you want to learn to drive, how do you find the best driving school or best driving instructor!
That’s quite a difficult question. Looking on the internet for the best looking driving school website or the best special deals is only the start. Once you have found the driving school or best driving instructor, what next?
You could email or fill out a contact form and see the response you get back. If that sounds what you are after, then go ahead and book your driving lesson. Sometimes you might be able to phone to inquire, but most driving instructors are teaching or driving and difficult to contact.
Until you actually take a driving lesson, you won’t know if you are compatible with your driving instructors method of teaching. If you are not, you should change instructor or driving school early on in your lessons before you get too locked in.
Learn To Drive in Perth
When you start to learn to drive in Perth, you will be on tranquil roads for the first few lessons. Once your confidence builds, you can progress onto some of the more challenging roads. The city of Perth is not very large as cities go, so you will soon get used to the layout of the roads.
Top of the list of your learning to drive programme should be CAR CONTROL. I can’t emphasise this enough. All of your early driving lessons should be about controlling your car safely on hills, roundabouts, stopping and starting with the correct use of speed and gears. As mentioned earlier, if your driving instructor pushes you too early into difficult situations before you get the ‘hang of it, then look for another instructor or driving school.
The Scottish Driving School will always help pupils who want to learn to drive get the best possible start in their driving career. Your instructor will take all new drivers starting from scratch every step of the way in easy to understand learning to drive basics. Once your confidence builds, you will be encouraged to move onto slightly busier roads, but not until you are ready.
Things You Should Know
Here are a few basic procedures you should be taught in your early driving lessons. These should then stay with you for the rest of your driving career.
- P = Prepare Car For Driving Off
- O = Observe All-Around Blind-spot, Windows, Mirrors
- S = Signal If Necessary
- M = Manoeuvre – Drive away
Moving off in detail:
P: Preparing the car involves:
- Switching engine on
- Selecting a suitable gear
- Deciding if you are on a flat road or hill (up or down) and adjusting the foot pedals accordingly
O: All Round Observation:
- Looking out of all windows and mirrors before finally checking the blind spot. Looking on its own is not enough. You will need to make an informed decision about when you can safely drive away.
S: Signal If Necessary:
- Signal to move away at this point if you are not going to confuse another road user. If there are no other road users or potential road users, i.e. a car reversing out of a driveway or a pedestrian looking to cross the road, you may be able to drive off without a signal.
M: Manoeuvre :
- Take the handbrake off or foot brake off (depending on the gradient direction) and move away from the kerb, steering gently away.
You should practise this process as often as necessary to be just part of your normal driving away routine. On the driving test, you will be carrying out this process many times.
You might like to consider these intensive driving courses to save you time on your weekly driving lessons:
Contact Us if you need to book a course or need more information.